If the Philippines has indeed 7,107 islands during low tide and 7,106 during high tide then that island difference can be seen in the Hundred Islands National Park in Alaminos, Pangasinan.
These group of islets and islands can be seen at the northeastern part of Alaminos City. Of the 124 islands, only 3 are developed- Children’s island, Governor’s island and Quezon island. My fave spot is the Lopez island (see 3rd photo) or Papaya island as the locals call it.
I wanna share with you my DIY tour of the islands and my overnight stay on my hammock.
This is my second visit to the #1 attraction in Pangasinan and it didn’t fail me the second time. I just noticed that there are so many students nowadays (to think I came on a Monday and its not a holiday) visiting the islands for a picnic.
As this is part of my 100 Days Journey, I can’t afford to pay Php800 for the banca. So I just asked if I can join the service boat for maintenance crew. So I went there for free.
How to get to Hundred Islands?
1. Take a bus Manila to Dagupan or Alaminos like Victory Liner. Travel time: 3-3.5 hours
2. Get off at Alaminos City proper, look for the public market and walk towards SUKI supermarket and go to LUCAP Terminal just infront of SUKI. Fare is Php15/person to Lucap wharf (pantalan), the jump-off to Hundred Islands. You just have to wait for 3 more passengers. Travel time is just 15minutes or less.
If you are on a hurry, you can rent any tricycle you see for Php50-60.
3. Register at the Tourism Info Center at the Lucap Wharf. Boats are available from 7am-5pm. Choose according to how many you are. If you are traveling solo, I suggest you wait for a group where you can tag along to save expenses. Entrance fee to island hopping is Php20 during day tour, Php40 for night trips. Boat rental and parking fees are published below:
Camping or pitching your tent?
I suggest you camp on Quezon Island as there are a handful of people living there.
Camping Fee: Php200/night/tent
Tent Rental: Php400
Kayak rental: Php250/hour (good for 2 persons). I suggest you do this and hop from one island to another. Experience the thrill and excitement when conquering waves; serenity when in between large rock formations.
Snorkeling gear: Php100, use as long as you want. I have seen both big and small fishes when I snorkled.
Cottage Overnight rental: Php 2,500 (good for 4-6pax)
1. There is cellphone signal (Smart & Globe) in the islands. I’m not sure with Sun.
2. There is no fresh water supply. Be sure to bring enough drinking water as basic necessities are sooooo f****** expensive in the island. Yes, more expensive than Boracay. Buko Juice is Php100, Sardines is Php80, etc.
3. Bring enough food. See #2 tip again.
4. There is no electricity except for the generator for the cottage. Charging of cellphone is Php50.
___ ___ ___
Trip happened during Days 6 & 7 of ISANG DAAN Journey at Hundred Islands National Park, Alaminos, Pangasinan. Thanks to Sir Rey Livara for allowing me to camp on the island for free. Thanks also to boatmen who let me hitch going and coming out of the islands.
#ISANGDAAN is a personal journey and challenge to backpack around the Philippines the cheapest way possible for 100 days.
If you want to follow my steps, I have an interactive map- ISANGDAAN Journey map.