To Whom It May Concern: I’m just dreaming and if this post proved to be disrespectful in any way, I will delete it.
Still, here are the 10 Dreams I have for Manila, our beloved capital city. I pray that this is not wishful thinking or maybe I’m foolish enough to care?
1. Preserve Your Lungs, Plant More Trees. Instead of putting chicken wires and street portalets, I suggest we plant more trees. Think Green MMDA. Ohh, it will also help with the problem of flooding, promise.
2. Not Another Mall Please. Do you think we need another mall? I wish there are alternatives for Manila residents where they can really relax and breath some fresh air. If I may add, there is a mall in Edsa that houses an animal show everyday. This makes people lazy to explore the outdoors. You are stealing the joy of discovery both to the young and old. My goodness!!! Those birds and reptiles belong to the wild not to the mall.
3. I Am Barely Breathing. You know why I abhor going to Manila? The pollution will kill me. I wish we can have a “No Vehicle Day” once a year. Everyone get to office by bike or by walking or running. Healthier, cheaper and zero-traffic guaranteed! Green vehicles are already available; why not buy that one before its too late.
4. Provide Bike Lanes. I wish that national roads have designated bike lanes. This would declog heavy traffic, lessen air & sound pollution and promote healthier living too.
5. Trash Can In Every Street Corner. Puerto Princesa City is still the greenest city in the Philippines. Why? Simple! They have big garbage bin not only in the street corners but also everywhere in the city. Plus the locals are disciplined. I wish Manila residents could do this.
6. Wifi-ed, Be Connected for Free. When I was in Singapore, Internet connection is available everywhere I go. I just need to register and puff, I’m connected 24/7 for FREE. Bus companies and malls can do it; I know the whole city can do it too! I wish Internet providers or companies can pick this up, this would be a great marketing campaign.
7. Color and Light the Streets. I wish to see more colorful jeepneys and tricycles. I hope LGUs and Todas can sponsor events that will beautify our public transportations. I believe that my countrymen are brimming with ideas and creativity to vivify our commutes. Also, make the streets safer to pedestrians by lighting it when the sun sets. Want a greener and cheaper method? Build solar posts.
8. Plastic-Free. I live in Los Banos and we don’t use plastics here for more than 5 years now. I believe more and more towns and cities are doing the same. Manila, you should lead!
9. Restore and Preserve Our Heritage. I just want to say Kudos to Carlos Celdran and Ivan Henares for doing your part in restoring our heritage in the capital city. I just hope that the old politicians would care enough to restore and preserve our rich heritage.
10. _____________________________. I make this one blank for you to dream too! Suggest something that would beautify our capital city. I believe this would somehow reach the authorities.
If only I have the power to make these dreams possible, I will. Maybe when I become MMDA Chairman or Manila Mayor.
This is my contribution to the “MANILA IN FOCUS” Blog Carnival hosted by Lakwatsero for the Pinoy Travel Bloggers.
You can read the past topics by clicking the Blog Carnival logo.